Friday, February 17, 2006

Weird Cause of Traffic

For some reason I am getting a lot of traffic to my website for a post I made about how Windows occassionally sucks. The reason I made the post was I received some weird message after an update that said: "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)"

Apparently this is some update to windows that ensures you are using a real licensed version of the software. Extremely annoying. I'm sorry, but I don't know what it does if your copy isn't licensed, mine is, so I didn't have any problems.

To you, the poor souls who found my site looking to find some info on this 'tool', I wanted to help you out (I'm a nice guy and all), so I searched Microsoft Developers Network (MSDN) (As a sidebar conversation, I really love parantheses, have you noticed? ANYWAY, I used to be a developer, so I know where to look for this sort of stuff, back to my moderately coherent rambling) and found what at first appeared to be a helpful page. It gives the search results with the following description:
Description of the Windows Genuine Advantage program
Describes the Windows Genuine Advantage program and discusses validating your copy of the Windows XP or Windows 2000 operating system.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;892130
Unfortunately, as of time of this post that page that the results directs you to (which is linked above, I'm sorry, hopefully no more parantheses) is dead. You get this nice message:

The Knowledge Base (KB) Article You Requested Is Currently Not Available

Who knows, by the time you read this the page may be available. Until then, we have to wonder what the knowledge base article actually was about. It could have been about Microsoft's plan to buy the moon, or maybe some conspiracy involving iTunes, XBOX 360 Bill Gates and Steve Jobs... But that is merely conjecture by me, because the page is down and I don't have any inside info.

Anyway, to those of you who made your way over to my humble blog because of a search for this knowledge base article, take a look around, see if anything grabs your interest. I've posted on the past on the St. Louis Cardinals, Mizzou Tigers, Float Trips, How Much I hate Sallie Mae and other weird stuff. I didn't try to draw you here and wish I could help more.

Hope you enjoy your visit. Good luck with that whole Microsoft thing

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As of yet the page is still down. I believe it could be a microsoft plot to get away with not telling anyone what the update is about.