Monday, December 06, 2004

Interesting Cross-Promotion

For those of you do not know me... A part of my day-to-day duties consists of executing and providing expertise on opt-in email marketing. Not to pat myself on the back about anything but I think I know the in's and outs of email marketing...

I just received an email from McAfee trying to sell me something I'm not interested in. I don't remember opting-in to McAfee, but I'm sure I could have at some point. Since I receive a couple of hundred emails a day, I normally opt out of the offer emails. So I go to opt-out of McAfee's email and here is the promotion they are running on the unsubscribe page:
NEW VERSION! McAfee SpamKiller: The automatic junk email blocker service Tired of spam? The best reply is McAfee SpamKiller with tate-of-the-art spam-busting technology. Scam filters, One-Click Block, Dictionary Attack filtering and regular spam filter updates help keep inboxes free of unwanted email, including virus hoaxes, offensive content and identity theft scams. Ideal for MS Outlook/Express!
I think this is really funny... Promoting spam-blocking software to people who are unsubscribing from your email. I wonder if their filter blocks their own emails. Do you think this was down toungue in cheek?
If not, is this message you want to send to your unsubscribers: "hey, since you don't like our spam, you think you may want to block it and others?"

No comments: